Monday, April 03, 2006

Friday in Washington DC

Friday morning started early. My friend had to work until about noon, so I took the Metro into the city and did my own thing until she meet up with me at about 2 pm. I started at the Washington Memorial then headed to the war memorials. I loved the WWII memorial, the wall of stars left me in awe. I also enjoyed the Korean War memorial. I did the Vietnam Memorial and the Lincoln memorial...all of which was great. I loved the Lincoln memorial and the view from the memorial. The reverance and peace at these places is amazing. I loved every minute of being in those places. I really thinkn that every American needs to visit DC...the history and heritage is awesome. After visiting the monuments and memorials....I headed to the White House. On the way, I passed the Daughters of the American Revolution building, the Red Cross Building, and a few other amazing buildings. At the White House I was disappointed to find out that you can't visit inside unless you have a pass from your Congress man (months in advance). Instead, I went to the White House Museum. I also saw the National Treasury Building, but you couldn't go in there either! I then ended up at the National Natural History Museum where I saw the Hope Diamond and other National jewels. I also went to the National American History Museum. The original Sun Stone from the Nauvoo Temple is on display there as is the hat Lincoln wore when he was shot at Ford's Theater. There were so many awesome things there. After being there for not nearly long enough, I met up with my friend and we went to the National Gallery of Art, where we ate lunch. We then saw some DaVinci, VanGough, and Monet paintings. They were amazing. From there we headed to the "hill." You couldn't go inside the Capital Building without a pass from your congressman or rep. either. We then went to the Library of Congress where we saw the Gutenberg Bible (first bible printed with a printing press). We saw the Supreme Court building and actually got to go inside. We sat in the courtroom and listened to a lecture on the Supreme Court...that was neat. WE then passed the Senate offices on our way to the National Archives Building. This was so amazing...the Magna Carta, the Articles of Confederation, the Declaration of Independence, the Bill of Rights, and the most spectacular of all was the Constitution. To see the document that established this country was amazing. Words really can't describe how I felt. It was awesome! I was exhausted and ready to put my feet up. My pedometer logged 20 miles. YIKES! But oh the fun!

No comments: