Tuesday, April 04, 2006

The DC area on the Sabbath

In between sessions of Conference on Sunday, my friend and I visited Arlington National Cemetery. It was beautiful and humbling. I couldn't believe how many graves there were, men and women who had given their lives for me and this country. Now I know why Grandpap wanted to be burried there. It was really neat seeing the Tomb of the Unknown Soldiers. I got to see the changing of the guard and the changing of the wreath in front of the tomb. They change it every hour. When we were there, four middle school students got to present the wreath...it was neat. The mansion is Robert E. Lee's home. I had no idea that this was his estate, that they turned into the National Cemetery...although he is not burried there. I didn't get to go into the mansion, my friend was too tired, plus that gives me something to do next time. I also got to see the memorial for the Challenger and the other shuttle crash, as well as The Kennedy family plots (John and Robert). It was interesting, but I don't know why John got more than one plot (he actually had 4, two children, his wife, and his). I am not really sure what the "eternal flame" is supposed to represent...he was just a President, like all the others. That place was huge and there was no way to see it all, but I felt like it was a privillage to get to see it. I am pretty sure the people around me thought I was odd, as I cried about everything. I was especially emotional upon seeing the respect the guards had that guarded the Tomb. Also "Taps" just about did me in.






No comments: