Saturday, October 11, 2008

There's a new "SHERIFF" in Town or is it a SUPERHERO!



For those of you who don't know...my dad, who's always been a hero to us, is officially a hero to the rest of the world. Yes, Bill really saved the day on Friday afternoon. After eating lunch with my mom on Friday, he was heading back to work when he went into hero mode. While returning back to his office, a truck drove in between the two lanes of traffic and between the rows of cars. He crashed into the car in front of my dad's truck. Originally my dad thought that the driver was having a heart attack, because no sane person would drive between two lanes of traffic. After hitting the car in front of my dad, the truck backed up and hit another car...this was when my dad realized they were not dealing with a heart attack victim. As this crazy person is hitting cars left and right, a police car drove up along side my dad on the sidewalk. The wacko driver got out of the car and began taking off on foot. The policeman was attempting to chase after the crazy. My dad noticed that the policeman was in no shape to run and catch the guy. A man from the restaurant nearby came running out to help. My dad took off in his Ford Ranger pick-up truck to follow the crazy guy. He noticed he had turned down a walk way and was walking very calm, so that no one would know he was the guy the police were after. My dad cornered him with his truck, got out and asked the kid (only about 18 or so) to stop and get down on the ground. The kid started to make a run for it. It was at this moment that my dad's combat training from years ago must of popped into his mind...because he took that kid down, put his knee in his back, and held his hands behind his back and waited for that police to arrive. That is how the police caught the guy they'd been chancing for "quite awhile." (What the police told my dad.) So all those years we used to laugh at my dad when he would say, "These hands have been trained to be registered weapons," I guess he was right and we owe him an apology. The SAPD and us are sleeping a little better tonight knowing that Bill is out there! See what military training can do...make you fearless and courageous. Of course all of us had the same reaction...what if this guy had a knife or a gun, which was not even a worry for my dad, because after all - he "has been trained in hand to hand combat." Thanks dad for being a good citizen, a good example, and a hero. We love you!!

4 comments:

britni said...

WAY TO GO BILL! Great job...even though I still think you are crazy! Really what if he had a gun or knife? As Kate and Clair say your a crazy nut Papa, but we are sure lucky to have you!

Brooke said...

Holy cow. That could be a movie... hmm what celebrity would play Bill. Oh, totally, Richard Dreyfus!
That was amazing, good job. I've never really heard of someone doing a citizen's arrest. pretty cool.

Bright-Mom said...

No, Brooke...the actor to play my Dad is Paul Newman...oh darn, he's dead!

Stephanie said...

What an amazing story! I love it. Ooh, Sean Connery could play Bill. He'd have to work on the accent.