Monday, September 08, 2008

I have a New Roommate...

And I DON'T LIKE IT!


Yesterday, while sitting on the couch reading, movement on my carpet caught my eye.

Thinking it was a spider, I picked up my shoe and tried to wack it, when I discovered it was not a spider. It was a Texas gecko. I did a little research on the internet and discovered that they are called Mediterrian Geckos. I tried killing it twice last night, but it got away. Tonight I went to get something out of my bedroom, only to discover it had taken up residence in the top corner of my bedroom wall...right above the bed. That is not a good thing...I'm used to sleeping alone. I tried getting it with a broom, but it didn't budge.

I didn't want to smooch it on the wall and get blood and guts everywhere, so I called my heroic brother who lives about 5 blocks away. I know it was 10:15 pm and I shouldn't need a man to take care of these types of things...but they freak me out and I was sure it was going to fall on my bed or worse - in my hair. I had images of The Parent Trap with Lindsay Lohan, where the lizard gets into the future stepmom's hair and then falls into her mouth.

My heroic brother suggested I just hit the thing harder. Which I did. It still didn't budge. I then tried it again and yes I might have screamed like a little girl as it started running down my wall straight towards my bed and yes I might have screamed as if I were being murdered as it disappeared behind my bed, but no my brother was not too heroic as he said, "Is that you screaming?" Of course it was...who else was he talking to!

I proceeded to call my mom, when I couldn't find the invader. I decided that I would just sleep in the guest room. While doing a little work in the living room, I saw the stupid thing on the wall by my bookshelf.


I just spotted the thing again, but it got away again, this time seeking refuge under the couch. Don't worry...I will get that gecko if it is the last thing I do. But no Joel, I will not take your advice and just pick it up with napkins and through it in the toilet. That is creepy and broom just seems more permanenet.

2 comments:

Brooke said...

Oh Emily!!!! Don't kill it!!! If they're anything like the geckos in Hawaii, they just keep to themselves, and will "chirp" you to sleep. It looks like such a fun little pet. :) You are hilarious!

Bright-Mom said...

Ummm yeah, I would have been screaming too! I refuse to kill spiders in my house...I simply place a cup on top of them and wait for Stephen to come home and take care of it. Sorry spider...if Stephen is away on business you might sit under a cup while...or until you petrify! Opps!