Saturday, December 13, 2008

Our sweet Grandma Call

Some of my greatest "family" memories involve Grandma! I know we all (cousins) kind of teased and joked about Grandma in our silly Grandma Fiestas...but I really feel is is because she was so tender to us, a real dear!

When I told my kids that Grandma passed away, Kate was very emotional. (Sadly she is my only child that will have any memories of Grandma.) Kate was very upset and commented, "But mom, it is Christmas and Christmas is about being with family! Grandma should be here with family!" What a wonderful opportunity to remind Kate about the family waiting to be reunited with Grandma.

As I lay in bed last night, sad, and tired, my mind kept returning to one comforting thought...Grandma and Grandpa are back together. My Sweet dad reminded me it had been OVER 40 years! I thought about Darlene...Delamr...Sandra! I just kept thinking about how grateful they are to be with their mother again! I know she had a wonderful welcome home party waiting for her. This gives me tremendous comfort!

After I told the kids, I remembered that Grandma had sent some little baby doll blankets to my three kids for Christmas. They were not Grandma's best work. However, it was obvious there was love in every stitch. I told my kids about how Grandma made us PJ's every Christmas and how she was such good seamstress. Then I told them, how hard it was for her to sew these last few years. However, she still wanted to make something special and personal for them for Christmas! I then gave them the little baby doll quilts and told them that although this wasn't her best work, the stitches were not the perfect stitches I got on my PJ's as a child, it was a gift she made just for them with love! Kate, still crying and upset said, "Mom, I don't care if it isn't her best work, I will keep this blanket forever!" Grandma, I love you and I am so glad you are my Grandma! Thanks for the memories, thanks for the love, thanks for the example!

1 comment:

Brooke said...

Your girls are so tender. Thanks for the great memories. WE can't wait to see you!