Saturday, December 13, 2008

Grandma Call

Grandma was one of my favorite people. Not many people get to have a grandparent live to be 94. I was one of the blessed ones.

Tuesday I sent Grandma her annual Grand and Great-Grandchildren calendar. She loved getting that calendar and I enjoyed making it...mostly because I got to see pictures of everyone throughout the year. Here are a couple of the pictures that were included in this and last year's calendar. There were lots of pictures sent, but these included grandma.

Grandma and Brooklyn a year 1/2 ago.


Grandma and the Krueger kids. I think we have a picture of all of us surrounding grandma...just like this.


Here are just a few things memories and things I learned from Grandma...
1) She taught me to quilt. I've made each of my nieces and nephews, as well as friends' babies a quilt and all due to Grandma.
2) She taught me to crochet. I'm not very good at it, but she patiently worked with me.
3) She taught me how to make enchiladas, the way she made them. It's all about the frozen red chili.
4) There is nothing like eating a burrito and chatting with Grandma.
5) Grandma always asked me about who I was dating. I've had many a heart to heart with Grandma after a break-up. She was always sweet and would say things like, "I just don't understand boys these days" or "He'll come Emily, he'll come."
6) Grandma taught me about the importance of family. I took a Family History class at BYU and Grandma spent hours and hours telling me stories about her family and Grandpa's family.
7) I inherited Grandma's way of never being able to hide how she felt...her face gave her away every time and mine does too.
8) I will always remember the summers spent at Grandma's house in NM. I can't ever eat a dried apricot without thinking of Grandma.
9) Grandma taught me independence. About a month ago I was visiting Grandma. I was cleaning her house and I tried to get her to let me wash and change her sheets. She wouldn't let me. She said, "I've been doing this myself, most of my life. I don't need anyone to start doing it for me now."
10) Grandma taught me how to live alone. In a conversation with Grandma once, she told me that she had lived alone more years than she had lived with Grandpa. She never complained about being alone, but I know there were times she was lonely. I just can't help but think that she is alone no more.

I love you Grandma and as much as I will miss her...I know she is having the Call reunion of her life.

4 comments:

chyayn said...

EM! I knew this would be where I could come to find an amazing post on Grandma. I know how MUCH she loved and adored you too. Thank you for those sweet memories. We will all miss her so much. LOVE YOU!!!!

Bright-Mom said...

Thanks Em! We were all so blessed to have such a talented and sweet Grandma!

Brooke said...

Emily, I think you ranked right up there with, "her boys" I know you were one of her favorite people and I always admired how you and Rosalind, could just tell her how it was and never sugar coated anything. I know you had a special place in her heart. I'm excited to see you again.

Anonymous said...

What beautiful tributes to your grandma. I'm sorry for your loss; I love how you are so thankful for her.