Monday, October 01, 2007

Hawaii was gorgeous!



OK...so I'm finally home for a week. I can breathe a little (I'll be in CA all next week) and I can post a little. Here are a few pictures from my Hawaii work trip. I stayed on Waikiki, which is very touristy, but lucky for me I was there during the month when they get the least amount of tourists. I was beautiful and I could seriously see myself living there. The weather was perfect every day, not too hot, not too cold. Sun, beaches, and palm trees...do you need anthing else?





One of my favorite parts of my trip to Hawaii was on Thursday afternoon. My co-worker who was born and raised on the islands took me to Pearl Harbor. What an amazing place. We watched the movie about that day and then took a Navy ship over to the monument. What a humbling experience! When people talk about that generation being the greatest generation they are really down playing it. Anyone who doubts it needs only visit that place and those men who are listed on that wall will atest to it not just being the greatest generation, but also the noblest! Just thinking about my experience there brings tears to my eyes as I write this. We don't understand sacrifice like that generation did. On the Arizona alone (which is where the monument is directly over and also the metal circular thing sticking up in the water) there were several sets of brothers and I read about 1 set of twins that both died. The picture of the smaller wall of names contains the names of the men from the Arizona that survived Dec. 7th. They have since died and been laid to rest at sea, right there with their fallen comrades. The most recent was in 2006. Anyone who goes to Hawaii should try to make a trip to this very sacred place in our Countries history.

No comments: